Thursday, August 29, 2013

Rebuked. Refreshed. Redirected.


It’s always a blessing and a joy to be with people who inspire and motivate me to do more for the ministry, especially those people with more understanding and experience.

Yesterday was one of those inspiring days as I got to sit with a pastor from another church and share insights about our upreach and outreach.

Here I’m sharing a few of his insights in the hope that you too will be blessed by them.

“You know what really works? As Christians, we should be cheerful and happy. I’ve seen really rich people who are without joy. We should be the happiest. We have Christ.”

“In all my study, I have understood only one thing – that prayer is the answer to everything.”

Nothing is impossible to him that believes, and prayer is the expression of that faith.

“Do not be contented with the good that you are doing now. Seek further education, upgrade your knowledge and your skills… Seek education that will improve your line of ministry.”

Sometimes, it’s easy to fall into the routine of the work, to do what you’ve always done in the same way and for the same people. But there’s more, always more that we can do for God. We only need to submit to Him to be used by Him.

“Time management. You cannot afford leisure time. Every hour must be productive. Every moment must be one of learning.”

And the best lesson I learned yesterday afternoon:

“Fire in the ministry is only a result of fire in devotional life.”

Yes, I was (probably unconsciously on his part) rebuked. My love for the ministry has more often than not manifested itself in activity, in output, in planning, in outreach, in desire for more action. Perhaps in my desire to shepherd others, I have neglected to shepherd my own soul through much prayer and meditation. He suggested that I fix specific times of day for prayer, like every two hours or so. Jesus Himself spent an entire night in prayer before He chose the twelve. A “hello, God” and a “good night, God” just isn’t enough.

It has been a wonderful day for my soul – refreshing in the sense that I am renewed in my desire to serve and given a new direction in the work, a direction that reaches not only out but also, and more importantly, up.

No comments:

Post a Comment