Monday, June 19, 2017

Whose Daughter Art Thou?

All day today, questions brewed and boiled in my head. Mostly Whys and Hows, but also Whos. I prayed to the Lord for answers, and through tonight's devotional I realized that I already knew the answer from a lecture I heard at PYC a couple of weeks ago.

My devotional tonight was about the Old Testament prophecies that pointed to the then-coming Messiah, and how they were all fulfilled in Jesus. Now this wasn't really directly related to my questions. But it reminded me to get to know my Saviour even deeper.

That was it. To know my God.

Just like that I was reminded of Genesis 24, the search for a wife for Isaac.

Among Rebekah's other qualifications, this was what struck me the most:

Genesis 24:23-25
...and said, Whose daughter art thou? tell me, I pray thee: is there room in thy father’s house for us to lodge in?
And she said unto him, I am the daughter of Bethuel the son of Milcah, which she bare unto Nahor.
She said moreover unto him, We have both straw and provender enough, and room to lodge in.

Rebekah knew whose daughter she was. She knew her place in her father's house. She was confident not only of her identity in her father, but also of the kind of provisions her father is able to offer.

Whose daughter art thou? Whose daughter am I?

I have a Father in heaven who loves me. I am precious to Him. He desires my good. He is able and willing to provide for my every need, including the building up of my character. He gave Jesus for me; He gave Jesus to me.

I can only be confident of who I am when I come to truly know my Creator and Father.

And in this-- in this I find my quest and my rest.



No comments:

Post a Comment