Tuesday, September 20, 2016

How to Solve Problems

Two years ago I was introduced to a "transcribed" class by Elder WD Frazee entitled "How to Solve Problems." It was a really worthwhile read, and was a blessing not only to myself but to those with whom I've had the privilege to share it. The class talked about the ABCD and E, and even F of problem-solving, and provides a more God-centered approach to handling challenges.

Well, today, the devotional that I share with my friend, Anthony, reminded me of those beautiful counsels again. We read Psalm 3 today, and it talked about David's trouble as he was fleeing from his son, Absalom.

In our lives, it's often true that we feel prepared for problems before the problems begin, and that we feel alright about the problems after problems are solved, but that we lose ourselves somewhere when we are right in the middle of the problem. Psalm 3 gives us a view of David fleeing for his life, a very present problem indeed.

So we solve problems like David did in that mountain.

A - Accept the assignment. Acknowledge it. 


LORD, how are they increased that trouble me! many [are] they that rise up against me.  
Many [there be] which say of my soul, [There is] no help for him in God. Selah.  Psalm 3:1, 2

B - Believe two things: (1) without God you can do nothing, but (2) with God you can do everything.

But thou, O LORD, [art] a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head.  Psalm 3:3

C - Claim the wisdom that God has promised. Claim wisdom through the four channels of guidance: His Word, Providence, Impressions of the Holy Spirit, Counsel of brethren.


I cried unto the LORD with my voice, and he heard me out of his holy hill. Selah. Psalm 3:4 

D - Do it. Do according to the wisdom that you have just claimed, but remember that D is not the A nor the B nor the C. It is the D.


I laid me down and slept; I awaked; for the LORD sustained me.  Psalm 3:5

That was probably the best thing for him to do - to rest, to find peace within himself from the Lord, to trust in God's sustaining power.

E - Express faith and Thanksgiving.

I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people, that have set [themselves] against me round about.  
Arise, O LORD; save me, O my God: for thou hast smitten all mine enemies [upon] the cheek bone; thou hast broken the teeth of the ungodly.  
Salvation [belongeth] unto the LORD: thy blessing [is] upon thy people. Selah.  



In the very end, I realized that through the storms without and within, God gives me peace and rest. He hears me and sustains me. Through stresses and doubts and guilt and fears and whatever, there is always help in the Lord. He is "my shield and my glory and the lifter up of mine head." I've seen Him do it for me over and over again, and He does it for me still. It would be well for each of us to put up ebenezers of God's faithful providence so we can always know that He is our peace amidst every storm, and in every present trouble, He is our very present help.

For more about WDFrazee's "How to Solve Problems," click here or leave a comment.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks you for these glads...it enlightens me..God bless...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praise God kay nahimong blessing sa imoha, chelle. If you want, naa koy full article about problem-solving. Let me know lang kung ganahan ka. pwede nako isend sa imo, di ra pud kaayo taas.

      Delete
  2. one of my favorite series by Frazee. shinare rin namin dito sa cpac!

    ReplyDelete